Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gluten Free Granola


Yesterday was a sad day, but being in the kitchen cooking helps me take my mind off things for a bit and always makes me much happier. Before I started on dinner, I made a batch of granola. I've been craving it so much lately. The gluten free varieties are quite pricey so I thought I would make my own. I haven't had the best experience making granola in the past but I had faith that this time I would make it work. I researched for a recipe online and came across this one from David Lebovitz. I like this recipe because it calls for applesauce in place of most of the oil. Like any recipe I attempt to make, I always tweak it a bit. I also cut the quantities in half.





Gluten Free Granola

2.5 cups gluten free oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup +1/8 cup unsweetened apple sauce
 1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon yacon syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F

- In a bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
- Warm the applesauce in a saucepan and add the remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix the applesauce mixture in with the dry ingredients until evenly distributed.
- Spread the granola out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is a deep golden brown.



This batch came out great. I kept sneaking nibbles after dinner last night. I did have some for breakfast this morning with almond milk, chopped strawberries and some sprouted pumpkin seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment