Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dinner in a Ramekin


 One of the things I'm trying to work on in my life is to save money. As I look over my account statements I'm amazed at how much money I spend on food. What can I say, I love food. I love cooking and I love eating out... trying new places and going back to the ones I like best. So now I'm trying to do as my mom does and use up everything in the kitchen before going to the store again. After going to the gym and meeting my friend for a walk today I was starving by the time I got home. What to make... I still had some leftover tomato sauce as well as zucchini middles (these were leftover from making noodles last night.) I also had a little bit of steamed kale and green beans. I decided to make a veggie layer bake with a side salad. For the veggie bake I started by sauteing sliced zucchini with a lot of red chili flakes. I spread a layer of tomato sauce in a ramekin and added the zucchini. I sprinkled a little bit of goat milk cheddar and topped that with my next mixture of sauteed veggies which consisted of garlic, onion, and green and red bell pepper. I added half of the veggies into the ramekin and added another layer of sauce. Once I added the rest of the sauteed veggies, I sprinkled on some cheese and baked it in the oven for around seven minutes at 350 degrees.
My side salad consisted of kale, green beans, and tomato sprinkled with hemp seeds. I prepared a homemade vinaigrette of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard.
For throwing all these odds and ends together, it made for a very tasty dinner with no additional shopping or spending required.

No comments:

Post a Comment