Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Single Serving Quiche

Ever since I made my first quiche last week I have been wanting to make another. It was so yummy. Mondays are my Saturdays so I had time to cook this morning. I didn't feel like making such a large size portion so I decided to make a single serving size in a ramekin. I don't know what it is about the ramekin dishes but I love using them. I need to make a trip to a kitchen supply store and get some more. That might be a bad thing though. I remember getting lost in Peppercorn, a shop in Boulder for at least an hour. I wanted to buy everything but restrained myself. I did leave with an awesome set of 4 mini tart pans. 
Okay, so back to the quiche. I followed the same recipe from memory that I used for making the broccoli cheddar quiche last week. I did scale it down and added ground flax like I said I wanted to. For the crust I used about 1/2 cup almond meal, 1 tablespoon flax, 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, and 1 tablespoon water. Because I didn't scale this down exactly, the crust was more moist. In the end this was not a bad thing. I baked it for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. After taking it out to partially cool, I prepared my filling. 1 egg plus egg whites and leftover veggies (kale, yellow squash, and zucchini.)


 The whole quiche took about 30 minutes to bake. Halfway through the baking process I added a special topping. It consisted of 1 teaspoon almond flour, 1 heaping tablespoon chopped pistachios, and 1 teaspoon earth balance. Mix well and sprinkle on top.


The original recipe says you are supposed to wait 30 minutes before eating... I waited about 5. I was hungry! I even took a bite out before photographing it.


PS. Thanks to my mama for the cute hot pad she brought me back from San Francisco.
Hope everyone has a lovely week. My friend Vanessa and I are taking a trip to the pumpkin patch today! So excited it's finally fall and I will be much happier once the weather cools down.

No comments:

Post a Comment