Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

No Peanut Pad Thai


For anyone who has peanut allergies and loves Pad Thai this recipe is for you. Even though it doesn't contain all the authentic Pad Thai ingredients, the sauce reminds me so much of it. Every time I make this, which is frequently, I always change it up a bit. I'll use different veggies depending on what I find at the farmers market. I'll make vegetarian versions and some non-vegetarian. Sometimes I'll even omit the rice noodles and use spinach or kale instead. For today's batch I started out by cooking my brown rice pad thai noodles according to the box directions. In a separate pan I sautéed a clove of garlic, (minced) and 1/4 of a yellow onion, (chopped). I threw in some sliced zucchini and broccoli and cooked them until tender. I love my food spicy so I added red chili flakes. I also added some leftover cooked chicken. Now it's time for the sauce. I'm not the type to use exact measurements so my advice would be to play around with the next three ingredients to get the consistency you like. For the sauce you will need creamy almond butter, a little water, and gochujang sauce. I use the Annie Chun's brand. It's a Korean sweet and spicy sauce that you can use on pretty much anything. It's delicious. I put a few squirts of the gochujang sauce in the pan followed by a spoonful of almond butter. I'll add a few splashes of water to get a creamy consistency. I let that cook for a few minutes and then add my brown rice noodles. Mix everything together and topped with sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment