Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Saffron Simple Syrup and a Saffron & Bitters Cocktail


For Christmas last year, my dad sent me a bottle of Averna. I'm not a huge drinker so it sat on the shelf next to the other bottles in my brother's bar area. What was our Mom's hutch is now his liquor cabinet. For my birthday the following month, Dad sent me multiple bottles of truffle oil, which have been put to use many times, and a tin of saffron which had been left untouched until now. I would see the cute little tin from Spain every time I opened the cupboard and it would remind me that I needed to do something with it soon. So I finally did. I wasn't quite sure what I would be using it for but a simple syrup sounded like a good idea. A healthier version of a simple syrup that is. And I finally got a way to use the Averna.

Saffron Simple Syrup

Ingredients:

1 cup water
1 cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
4 generous pinches of saffron

To Make:

In a saucepan add the water and coconut sugar. Turn heat to medium-high. 
Gently stir till the coconut sugar has dissolved.
Add ginger, cinnamon sticks, and saffron and stir again to combine.
Once it reaches a boil, let it cook for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Strain simple syrup into a glass jar and store in fridge until ready for use.

Saffron & Bitters Cocktail

In a glass with ice add:

1oz Averna
2 tablespoon saffron simple syrup
& top with tonic water.


No comments:

Post a Comment