Pages

Monday, July 28, 2014

Jammin Gin & Tonic






I never had an appreciation for gin until now in my mid-twenties. Vodka was always the go-to when my girlfriends and I would go out. Ketel soda was our drink of choice. Now I prefer gin with its mild taste that pairs well with so many different flavors. There is a local restaurant my boyfriend and I go to where the bar offers an amazing selection of non-alcoholic drinks with great fruity and floral flavor combinations. I'll order one of those and ask the bartender if I can add gin. I was given a funny look the first time it happened but he took my request and delivered a delicious drink. The gin complemented the flavors so well.  It inspired me to make a drink of my own.
A few months back, I made a batch of cherry apricot pan jam. The batch yielded two jars so I put one in the freezer. Now I have the perfect use for it. The jam itself is on the tart side so I included a little honey in this drink for balance. The flavors of the jam pair well with the infusion of rose and cucumber in Hendrick's gin. The rosemary garnish is optional but I highly recommend it. The flavor comes out stronger as you sip your drink.

 Ingredients:

1 tablespoon cherry apricot pan jam
Juice from ½ of a lime
1½ ounces Hendrick's gin
1 teaspoon honey
Fever Tree light tonic water
Ice cubes
Rosemary sprig for garnish

To make:

In a glass, add pan jam and muddle to break up any pieces of fruit. Pour in lime juice, gin, honey and give a quick stir. Add ice cubes, top off with tonic water and garnish with a sprig of rosemary.

No comments:

Post a Comment