Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Spelt Lemon & Chia Pancakes Topped With Blueberry Honey Compote




Mondays are my Saturdays. After having worked with cupcakes all weekend, you would think the last thing I would want to do is bake or cook. Wrong. I find myself staying awake after I've gone to bed on Sunday nights thinking of what I can create on my days off. As breakfast will be my next meal, pancake recipe ideas tend to float around my head quite a bit. So this morning I got into my kitchen with the intent of making lemon pancakes. The end result was Spelt Lemon and Chia Pancakes with a Blueberry Honey Compote. These pancakes are full of fiber from the flax and chia seeds and made with stevia as the sweetener. The compote is sweetened with honey, and for serving, I drizzled a little more honey on top.



Spelt Lemon and Chia Pancakes with a Blueberry Honey Compote 

Ingredients for Pancakes (makes 6 pancakes)

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup spelt flour
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 packets of stevia (I use NuNaturals brand.)
Pinch of salt

Wet Ingredients:

1 egg
3/4 cup almond milk
2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract

How to Prepare:

Preheat large frying pan on stove over low heat.
In a medium-large bowl, sift all of your dry ingredients (expect chia seeds). Once everything is sifted, add chia seeds and mix together till flour mixture is evenly blended.
In another medium size bowl, add all of your wet ingredients and whisk together. 
Add the wet ingredients to dry and mix well till evenly combined. 
Adjust heat on stove to medium-high. Grease frying pan with oil or butter.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop pancake batter into pan. 
Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. If you are familiar with making pancakes, you will be able to tell when they need to be flipped (when you see bubbles forming around sides.)

Blueberry Honey Compote

1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen).
2 Tablespoons honey
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 pinches of lemon zest

In a medium size frying pan over medium-high heat, add blueberries, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest.  Mix well.  Turn the heat up to high and let cook, stirring frequently until compote thickens. Cooking time varies depending on how thick you like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment