Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Orange Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bread


Last Saturday I was at my local health food store. In their house-made gluten free baked goods section I came across orange chocolate chip breakfast bread. I passed it up but once I got home I kicked myself for not getting a piece to have for breakfast the next morning. Instead of going back the next day to satisfy my craving, I decided to attempt to make it myself. It's just so much more fun that way.  The first batch I made came out so good. Baking is an art of its own but gluten free baking is another story.  It's all about having a good and diverse flour blend that lends a similar texture as normal flours do.  I made my second batch yesterday afternoon so I could have a piece for breakfast each morning at work this weekend.
 
Orange Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bread, Gluten Free

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients:

1/2 brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tapioca flour
1/4 ground flax seed
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients:

1 egg
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 2%
1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
1/3 cup olive oil

Additions

Zest from 1 medium orange
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, sift together your dry ingredients. Mix well to distribute flour blend evenly.
In a medium bowl, lightly beat one egg. Add in the rest of your wet ingredients and whisk till combined.
Add zest from orange and give another quick stir.
Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix till there are no lumps.
Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a greased loaf pan dusted with white rice flour.
Bake for 55-60 minutes.

3 comments: